Feelings are not Right and Wrong. Feelings just are.
People in pain are often ashamed of their feelings and will attempt to deny or hide them. Assure them you can handle their feelings and whatever the feelings are they are ok. Tell them feelings just are and everyone has them.
It is important to be open to expressions of pain and remain calm no matter what is said. Do not react or show shock to expressions of hopelessness or anger, or foul language.
People considering suicide can’t think clearly or stop their pain.
- You must help by keeping it simple and total acceptance of the person.
- Do not react negatively to things they tell you about their family.
- Do not make excuses for the family.
- Do not try to talk them out of it.
- They can’t see any other way out.
- They can’t make decisions.
- They can’t sleep or eat.
- They can’t make the sadness go away.
- They can’t see the future without pain.
- They can’t see themselves as worthwhile or valuable.
- They have tried repeatedly and failed to get someone’s attention.
- They can’t seem to get control of their lives.
Give these responses:
- Have you been eating? Sleeping?
- How long have you felt this way?
- What is your plan of action?
- How often have you thought about killing yourself?
- What has happened today? Yesterday? Last year?
- Tell them what alternatives are available to them.
Know your resources and have them at your finger-tips.
- Who else is in your family? Who would be most hurt by suicide? (Try to get a telephone number, or address.)
- Offer to help get them the attention they need from family or others.
- Ask them to agree to a contract with you.
- Tell them they are valuable and worthwhile and needed by family (children).
- Ask about their spiritual beliefs.
- Encourage them to seek counseling, or to reach out for spiritual guidance.
- Give them a story of hope and healing.
- Be their best friend until they can move on and talk with someone else.
- Promise to call them back and then do it.
- They must see you as a safe person.
Questions? Please Contact Evelyn for More!